Tuesday 3 November 2009

Worth waiting for? I hope so!


My apologies to every kind person who keeps popping back to my little web space to find ............. it's the same old, same old post but I have finally managed to finish a project. I did make a card I was very pleased with last week but forgot to photograph it before I passed it on to the person who ordered it, Doh!!!! So that one was a missed posting opportunity.

Before I post my own project though, I'm going to share another couple of things from my lovely Son. As mentioned in previous posts, he and his little family had to stay with us for about 8 weeks and while he was here it was his wife's birthday so he asked if I would help him make her a card. Actually, all I did was show him the gallery on the Graphicus website (fabulous place full of inspiration) and he picked a card he liked. I then showed him how to stamp and emboss, gave him a few pointers about matting and layering and off he went.

This was the result and I think he did brilliantly.


His second project was another pencil portrait, this time of his own beautiful little daughter, Alexa, which he did for his wife, Krystle's birthday too.

This is the original photo


And this is the beautiful drawing which captures one of Alexa's gorgeous expressions perfectly.


I'm very proud of him, er ........ does it show?

Now on to my own efforts. Last Saturday I went up to Graphicus for my final workshop from this block. It was called 'Hanging about with Lynn' and once again I had a fantastic inky playday with guidance and wonderful inspiration from Lynn Robinson-Hunter. There were 9 of us and we each made a wall hanging using all sorts of goodies and techniques and it's amazing how different each persons canvas was. I blended Distress and Dye Inks, stamped on canvas, card and tissue. Hand drew and coloured with Adirondack pens (lovely on canvas). I used metallic paints and texture paints, Pearl Pens, Paint Dabbers, Glimmer Mists, screens, copper foil with TSS molds and heaven knows what else. It was great! As usual, I didn't finish mine at the workshop but was enjoying doing it so much I couldn't wait to finish it at home. Although nearly everything (and there was a lot) I used can be purchased from Graphicus, I did have to use a couple of Lavinia stamps because they were the only ones I had at home that were suitable for what I wanted but I do know Graphicus have perfectly suitable ones available on their website from their own stamp range or the others they stock.

As there were so many items, I'm going to list the ingredients below for anyone who's interested in what I actually used so now here are the photos of .......

MY SECRET 'DREAM' GARDEN.










Ingredients :-

Dream sentiment - Tim Holtz Mini Ornates
Tattered Angels Blossom Trees
Tiny trailing vine by Clarity Stamps
Wild Meadow )
DREAM word )
Fuchsia Plate )
Let Your Heart Sing) All these are Elusive Images themeplates
Tattered Angels Glimmer Screens
Distress Inks
Adirondack Dye Inks
Metallic Paint
Viva Ferro Metal Effect
Paint Dabbers
Glimmer Mists
Pearl Pen
McGill Robin Punch
Crafty Individuals Chipboard Frames
Copper Foil
TSS molds

All the above available from Graphicus

The wrought iron gate stamp and the leafy spray are from Lavinia stamps.
The ribbon, beaded trim and Epoxy Dream definition sticker (Tim Holtz) were from my own stash.

Phew! I think that's the lot!

After so long, I hope you like it 'cos it will be a while before there's another post as I'm off on holiday next Friday and not only have I not finished anything else to post, I haven't the foggiest idea how to schedule them! If you are kind enough to leave me a comment after Thursday it will show when I get back from sunny (I hope) Orlando. I'm off to see Mickey & Co with my little Granddaughters!

Take care everyone.
Lesley Xx




18 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Lesley

Yes, definitely worth waiting for.

Your work is wonderful as always and so is your son's. You have every reason to be proud of him and I can see him having his own blog before long.

I love your secret dream garden. So much work has gone into this - as with all your projects.

No - quick makes for you - they are always full of detail and time consuming elements.

Have a lovely holiday Lesley and I shall look forward to seeing some more lovely creations on your return.

Take care.

Love Jules xx

Jo said...

oh Lesley this is so inspirational. I knew it would be a good one. You were so right to take your time with it. That hanger is so classy and the fringe really sets it off beautifully.

Fantastic first card for Jamie. Safe to say he has your creative genes then? Also your eye for detail as it is perfectly finished as your cards are. It would be nice if he came to play again.

Sally H said...

Stunning hanger and wonderful card from your son too! He is indeed a gifted artist. The sketch is perfect in every way. Your Granddaughter is also stunning! I think she will break some hearts when she grows up!
Lovely to hear you are okay and managing some craft time!

veronica said...

Lesley, this is just gorgeous -I love the colours, and the window hiding behind the vine is lovely. Jamie has obviously inherited your talent with cards, and the drawing of Alexa is beautiful.
Have a good holiday in Florida with the family

Beryl said...

Fabulous piece of work. It's easy to see where your son get's his talent from. I'm very impressed by his card and drawing.
Beryl xx

InkyArtitude said...

Wow Lesley, what a stunning post. Your son obviously takes after his very tallented Mum! His art work is simply stunning... he is extremely accomplished and I am in awe of his ability to capture so perfectly, the likeness of his subjects - beautiful work. I'm very impressed with his card making too, who knows, he could be the UK's answer to Tim Holtz!
Your hanging canvas is just fabulous. I knew it was going to be something special and it really is. I'm so pleased that you carried on working on it and got it finished before you go on your hols - I couldn't wait to see how it turned out: Magnificent!
Have a great holiday... say Hi to FLA for me and enjoy those fireworks. Lynn x

Suzanne C said...

Love your son's card! Brilliant and beautiful! The drawing is gorgeous and fabulous. He is very talented! Love your garden and love that it is called the secret garden. All the details are so lovely. Love that you shared close ups of the various parts of your garden!

PinksyDoodles said...

Wow, where do I start.
Firstly, you're son must have been card making in secret for some time to come up with this beautiful card. As for his drawing skills, well, "speechless" is the only word I have!!
The workshop sounded great fun, I would love to go on something like that. The hanging you have made is stunning.
Enjoy your holiday in Orlando. I hear there are some good craft stores in the area.
Clare x

lisa said...

Ohhh Lesley, where to start. Your Son's card is beautiful. His wife must have been thrilled and that photo and drawing, they are soooo adorable.
Your wall hanging is a real work of art. I love the colours and all the things you've included on it. Those swirls are to die for. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Enjoy Mickey and the sunshine.

Lisax

brenda said...

Well where do I start Lesley. Your sons' card is fabulous, looks like a real crafter in the making, better watch you goodies.

And your project is just stunning - lucky you being close enough to Graphicis to go to classes. I love watching Glenda and Lyn, although not see her on TV for ages.

B x

Debbie said...

Well this is a post worth the waiting Lesley, Your wall hanging is just stunning...I love the subtle colours and all the amazing details...it's just beautiful!
Your son obviously has your artistic streak too! His card is wonderful but that sketch of Alexa is AMAZING!! he is a very talented guy.
Have lots of fun in Orlando!
Hugs Debbie x

The Stamp Man said...

Wow, as others have said where to start, boy what a post, it's packed with so much!

Your wall hanging is beautiful so many different elements and techniques, and yes, your son is certainly talented, that drawing is amazing!! It's certainly a family possession to be treasured.

Also, I bet he's been secretly watching you making cards! I'd watch your stash from now on if I were you:)

A lovely post Lesley, a great note to leave us on!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday, it's sure to be a magical time:))

Jill x

Shirley said...

where to start lesley! Your whole plost is loaded with priceless art, from your son's card for wife and drawing of daughter, to your cards too!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Beautiful and Beautiful ... all of it X Thank you for your kind words on my blog today and welcome home hunny - we missed you X

Nettie said...

Wow, your work is amazing! as is that of your talented son! what a great card and stunning portrait, he's inherited your creativity for sure. Do you also sketch? pleased to find your blog! {hugs} Nettie

Nettie said...

ps! I meant to say also, that your grandchildren are adorable! lucky you!

Christine (All She Crafts) said...

Hi, Lesley.. You're back now.. Hope Orlando was fun!

I love your creations here, and your son's work is wonderful!

Thank you for reposting your link and kind testimonial re. my charity CD. :o)

Sold another one today. Wonder if she came from your link? Anyway, regardless.. I'm grateful for your support.

Hugs,
Chris xx

Oxana said...

WOW such a beautiful piece of work!!!